Egg bakes are an easy and versatile casserole to throw together when one is short on time. Casseroles are said to have been the invention of Elmire Jolicour, a French-Canadian immigrant, in 1866. La casserole in French means saucepan, which could be where “pan” comes into play, as a casserole is a food item baked in a big pan.
As much as I’d like to call this particular dish a casserole, I used to work at a school that simply called these egg bakes, so an egg bake I’m naming this dish. I was inspired to make this Sausage Egg Bake with Hash Browns from Easier Eats’ Amish Breakfast Casserole. It’s ingredients included: eggs, breakfast sausages, and hash browns. And as someone who grew up in a frugal home, I had to use up whatever else was in the fridge, such as asparagus and mushrooms that were coming to the end of their days.
Again, versatility. Anything can go into this casserole. Here’s how I made this Sausage Egg Bake with Hash Browns, and so can you:
Sausage Egg Bake with Hash Browns
- 6-8 large eggs
- 1/2 c. Milk
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Dried parsley flakes
- Chili flakes (optional)
- 1 lb breakfast sausages
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 button mushrooms, chopped
- 6 asparagus, chopped
- Hash browns of your choice
- Cheeses of your choice
- 2 stalks green onions, chopped, to garnish
- Sour cream (optional)
- Grease a 9×13 casserole dish and set it aside.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, parsley and chili flakes (optional). Then set this aside as well.
- Heat a pan with a drizzle of cooking oil and cook the breakfast sausages until golden brown. Then spread the cooked sausage on the bottom of your 9×13 dish.
- Repeat with the onion, mushrooms, and asparagus to form a delicious layer in the dish.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the cooked ingredients, then spread the hash browns on top. (I used patties.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for 30 minutes. Then remove the dish from the oven and add some cheese on top. Return the egg bake to the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Serve either hot or cold. And enjoy with green onions and sour cream (optional)^-^