Zucchini are great vegetables to have in the kitchen. They contain very little calories (about 33 g per one medium-sized zucchini) and are completely carbless. They can be eaten raw, steamed, pan fried, or anyway you like. In the case of these Choco Zucchini Cupcakes, they are grated and baked with other ingredients.
I’ve been fond of this recipe for a very long time. When I used to work in childcare, the chef would make these for the kids’ lunches. Because of the zucchini, they were considered “healthy” on the lunch menu. For me, they were just more fulfilling than the tiny portions of lunch we teachers were also given.
Fast-forward many years and I’m no longer teaching, but I still enjoy these Choco Zucchini Cupcakes. Here’s the recipe:
- 2 c. flour
- 2 c. sugar
- ½ c cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ½ c chocolate chips
- 3 c grated zucchini (roughly 1.5 medium zucchinis)
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ c oil
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Then add in the chocolate chips and grated zucchini, and coat these in the flour mixture.
- Finally add the eggs and oil and mix everything thoroughly.
- Line cupcake tins and scoop in the mixture ¾ full. (This recipe makes roughly 36 cupcakes or 2 9-inch cakes.)
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 C) for 25-30 minutes. Allow them to cool slightly and enjoy with a cup of milk^-^
- Extra: If choosing to bake these as cakes instead, bake for 40-45 minutes. You’ll know they’re cooked when a skewer poked into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
Write this recipe and more in your own Recipe Book.
Meal planning? Use this Planner.
Visit my Shop for more cooking and writing products.